Monday, December 15, 2008

Yoga

This morning I attended my first yoga class in India. It took a while to find the right yoga center but now I think I have it. All credit for finding the center goes to my clever and resourceful friend Debbie (and long-lost near relative), who pointed out that the ashram we plan to visit has a branch center practically in my backyard. Actually, I'm finding that this is a trend - things I desire that seem very far away are actually very close at hand. I was recently wishing there were a western-style coffee house in my neighborhood and BAM - my neighbor points out just such a coffee house on an evening walk. I needed to fill a prescription and asked a colleague where a chemist is located, expecting a trek across town. Turns out there is one at the end of the block that I walk past all the time. I think what's happening is that I expect a coffee shop or a drug store to look like a coffee shop or a drug store from home, but instead they look really different here.

Back to yoga. Class this morning was at 6AM. It was still dark out as we made our way over to the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre, located 1 block from the beach in an open-air gazebo-like structure. In the front of the gazebo, there was a puja area with pictures of various Hindu gods. The pictures themselves were draped in flowers as is the style here and there were candles burning. There were also pictures on the wall representing most of the world's religions. Instead of sticky mats people rolled out straw mats for their practice, although I did see one woman with a sticky mat on top of her straw mat. I think I might do that next time as I found the straw mat a bit pokey. Aside from a friendly German man who works for the center, we were the only western-looking people there.

Overall the class followed a pretty familiar routine. Class started off with Ohms and then breathing exercises. We spent quite a lot of time focusing on breathing and I found the breathing exercises pretty challenging. It was terrific to be able to hear the birds chirping and feel the sea air on my skin. By the time I opened my eyes after the breathing routines, the sun had started to rise and the lush greenery surrounding the center was becoming visible. Next we moved into sun salutations, followed by leg lifts, headstand, shoulderstand, fish, backbends balance postures and shavasana. Class followed a pretty mellow pace and lasted about an hour and a half.

After yoga, we walked back along the beach, buying fresh young coconut along the way. The vendor used his machete to cut off the top of the coconut and handed it back to us with straws. For breakfast we made a fruit salad from papaya, pineapple and bananas purchased the night before. I felt ready to greet the day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Laura,
Happy Hanukkah!

I told some of the marketing guys about your blog. They asked me to share the link with them. I hope you are okay with that. They were all interested in what you are doing.

I really like the story about the drug store and the coffee shop that was embedded in your Yoga class story. It reminded me of wise advice that I've received by a mentor several times and in different ways. It all boils down to.. "don't be limited by what you see". He was saying that sometimes you won't get the full experience if you only trust your eyes or what you are accustomed to. Makes sense to me. And it sort of fits your situation. Sometimes the things that seem farthest away and hardest to find or reach are right in front of us. We just have to let ourselves trust enough in ourselves to experience them.

Whoa! That's getting too profound and deep for me. Can't believe I just typed that.

Hope you continue to find what is in front of you and have a really wonderful experience Laura. You are missed here but I know you are cherished where you are.

Again... enjoy the holiday season.

Rod

(PS.. The team is heading to CAFE Vivace tomorrow morning for our annual Holiday Coffee. I'll be sure to toast you.)