Thursday, December 11, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!



In addition to being my mom's birthday, today was also Tamil Nadu's Hanukkah, Karthigai Deepam. (It's not actually anything like Hanukkah, except being a festival of lights.) In the evening there were special celebrations in honor of the Hindu lord Shiva -- the temples were lit up with thousands of small oil lamps and people also lit lanterns in front of their homes. It was really beautiful. I celebrated with my colleague Chitra's family and went to temple with them. Afterwards her kids set off a ton of fireworks which of course made me extremely nervous. Luckily we all made it through.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can only imagine what a beautiful experience it must have been to celebrate a festival of lights immersed the culture you're in now. It's great that you made it through the fireworks too :-)