Saturday, January 17, 2009

Pongal O Pongal

Pongal is a harvest festival celebrated throughout Tamil Nadu. The traditional Pongal food is sweet pongal, made by boiling milk, adding rice and dahl, jaggery (sugar cane), ghee (clarified butter), rasins, cashews, cardamom. It seems like everybody I talked to has a different idea of how long pongal is supposed to last. I ended up celebrating for four days which resulted in my consuming of a lot of sweet pongal.

Making Pongal


Getting ready for pongal puja


Pongal Puja


Getting ready to eat pongal


A god dressed up for pongal


A cow dressed up for pongal


More pongal puja, at the home of my friend's relatives.

1 comment:

noahv said...

Esai and the CTS team put together a Pongal feast at work yesterday. LOTS of great food -- ate my share of biryani, curry, and pongal.

Hope all is well -- we all wish you the best!